My Guide Website?
Prague Art Nouveau and Cubist Architecture 3-Hour Tour20 Reviews
Take a guided walk in the company of a historian to see the major examples of Art Nouveau and Cubist architecture in Prague. The landmarks act as a backdrop to Prague's political and social history as you marvel at sites such as the Grand Hotel Europa.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Prague:If youʻre booking your trip to Prague last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Prague: Historic City Center Bus Tour
- 3-Hour Tour of Alchemy and Mysteries of Prague Castle
- From Prague: Terezín and Ghetto Museum Guided Tour
- From Prague: Bohemian and Saxon Switzerland Scenic Tour
- Prague: 3-Hour Walking Tour of Old Town & Prague Castle
- Learn about the features of Art Nouveau aesthetics in Prague
- Hear about the pre-war social elite who frequented the city’s Art Nouveau cafés and restaurants
- Visit the beautiful Lucerna bar and the elegant Grand Hotel Europa
DescriptionArt Nouveau style was a universal phenomenon that emerged near the end of the 19th century, and was eagerly adopted in Prague. Art Nouveau constructions represent some of the most significant landmarks in the city. During this 3-hour guided walk you’ll learn to recognize the features of Art Nouveau design, from the ginkgo biloba leaves on façades, revealing oriental influences on the style, to the elaborate light fixtures that are hallmarks of Art Nouveau interiors. It is no accident that most of the city’s Art Nouveau buildings are hotels, elegant bars and restaurants, and train stations. These were frequented by the first globetrotters, who were enjoying the fruits of 19th-century industrialization in the early years of the 20th century before war swallowed up their world. Visit the stunning Lucerna bar and the elegant Grand Hotel Europa. Draw parallels throughout the walk, with examples of Prague’s Cubist and Rondo-Cubist architecture, including the House of the Black Madonna and the Bank of the Legions. Learn how Art Nouveau and Cubist architecture became statements of the city’s sense of modern sophistication and a resurgent national identity.
Includes3-hour guided walking tour
- The tour guides are professors, doctoral students, historians, journalists, art critics, and published authors.